Manchester City have completed the £11m (€13m) signing of Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht on a four-year contract.
City agreed a deal for Gomez last week and the 21-year-old will wear the 21 shirt for the Premier League champions.
It was originally thought Gomez, who played 49 games for Anderlecht last term under Vincent Kompany, would be out on loan this season, but City boss Pep Guardiola confirmed he will stay and compete for the left-back position.
Last week, Guardiola said: “This one goal is a young player, in the World Youth Championship years ago the best player was Phil Foden and he was the second best player.
“He played in Spain U21, young talent for Barcelona, went to Borussia Dortmund, played in good hands under Vincent Kompany.
“He is for now, he will stay with us.”
Gomez: Playing for Pep will be special
Gomez was on City’s radar as they chased a deal for Marc Cucurella, who eventually signed for Chelsea.
“I am incredibly proud and delighted to have joined Manchester City,” Gomez said after completing the switch.
“City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.
– To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something every young player would strive for.
“The number of trophies City have won in recent years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.
“Playing for and being mentored by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.
“I’ve heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I’m looking forward to getting down to business and trying to help the club achieve even more.”
Begiristain: ‘Exciting’ Gomez has great potential
City director of football, Txiki Begiristain, added: “We are delighted to welcome Sergio to Manchester City. He is a very exciting young talent.
“Sergio’s development in recent seasons has been very impressive – he is a skilled defender with great potential.
“Over the last year he has gained excellent experience playing in the Belgian league and in Europe with Anderlecht.
“We are confident that he will bring further quality to our squad both in defense and forward and that he will only continue to develop and improve his game under Pep and his coaches.”
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move this summer when the transfer window closes at 23.00 on 1 September?
Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news and rumors in our dedicated Transfer Center blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also follow ins, outs and analyzes on Sky Sports News.
The new Premier League season with Sky Sports
- 128 live Premier League matches.
- First pick matches for each weekend of the Premier League season.
- The best expert team in football including Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Micah Richards and Roy Keane.
- Kelly Cates and David Jones will present our live coverage across Friday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game goals and cuts for mobile devices from Sky Sports live matches.
- Extended highlights On Demand and our Premier League channel.
- Sky Sports is your ultimate destination for domestic football with live coverage of the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premier League and Women’s Super League.
- Find out more about Sky Sports