Humble Games and Bounding Box Software have announced that their old-school, blood-pumping shooter Prodeus is leaving Early Access next week and coming to Switch.
On September 23rd, you’ll be able to load up your guns and suit up in this stunning retro-styled shooter, which combines gorgeous pixel art, vintage rendering and modern 3D technology. Created by Michael Voeller and Jason Mojica, who together have 25 years of experience in the FPS genre, and with music by Andrew Hulsh (composer of DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, and In the midst of evil), this feels like the throwback shooter we’ve been waiting for.
Prodeus has been in Early Access for almost two years, and in that time the game has been extremely well received by fans. And while the console versions won’t be able to create their own levels, they’ll still be able to play the game in four-player co-op or dive into 16-player Deathmatches.
Here’s what you need to know about the game from publisher Humble Games:
Produce is a first-person shooter of old, recreated using modern rendering techniques and technology. Experience the quality you expect from a modern AAA game, designed with retro aesthetics and gameplay that invokes the technology-imposed limits of older hardware.
The game features a handcrafted campaign from industry FPS veterans, co-op and competitive multiplayer based on classic modes, a fully integrated level editor* and a built-in community map reader for instant action with almost unlimited levels to play.
Get ready to paint the walls Red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.
1. RETRO LOOK, MODERN ERA – Shooters from the past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D technology with retro visuals. Experience over-the-top explosions of lo-fi pixels and high-tech particle effects as you clash with the forces of Prodeans and Chaos.
2. PURE RETRO FPS CHAOS – Steel yourself for fast and frantic nonstop action. Blast and blaze your way through hordes of chaos-created creatures using an arsenal of classic overpowered weapons.
3. RAIN RED – Splatter the steel walls and alien halls with the blood of your enemies. Experience the bloody thrill of the oldest shooters, turned up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’ delightfully demented dementing system.
4. COMMUNITY LEVELS – Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’ powerful yet easy-to-use level editor*, and keep the inner battle fresh with a built-in browser filled with community-created maps.
5. MULTIPLE GAMES – Team up and go head-to-head in a variety of multiplayer modes. Take on the campaign in 4-player co-op and dive into the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF and more – and take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes.
6. USE FOR MUSIC – Burst veins as you listen to a supercharged metal soundtrack by retro FPS composer Andrew Hulshult (DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods, Dusk, Amid Evil) that dynamically shifts gears to accompany your actions.
*Only available on the PC version
You only have to wait a week to get your hands on Prodeus, as the game launches on September 23rd on Switch, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series X|S, and PC. And it will be on Game Pass on launch day too!
What do you think of Prodeus’ appearance? Are you going to take this next week? Let us know!