Somewhere in a corner office at Paramount, executives are putting together their desperate plea to convince Tom Cruise to return for “Top Gun 3.” Indeed, that’s the only logical answer to the truly wild success of “Top Gun: Maverick,” which has soared beyond expectations, surpassed box office records and continues to make a killing as recently as last weekend, when it narrowly missed the no. two places at the box office despite the fact that they are in their 12th week of the release.
The Joseph Kosinski-directed film is a sequel to the 1986 classic “Top Gun,” which follows Cruise’s brave pilot 30 years after his first outing. The stellar cast includes the return of Cruise as Maverick and Val Kilmer as Iceman, along with new cast members such as Miles Teller, Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Monica Barbaro and Jennifer Connelly. The action-packed nostalgia fest was always destined to be a good time at the theater, but “Maverick” takes the potential of a legacy sequel to the next level. To everyone’s surprise (except, of course, Tom Cruise), “Top Gun: Maverick” is the biggest movie of the year by a significant margin. Not only is it an amazing theatrical experience, but it also seems to be very addictive.
Unless Cruise is buying out all those theaters himself, there’s a good chance you’ve already seen Pete “Maverick” Mitchell return to the big screen. But in case you haven’t already seen the movie — or, more likely, if you’re dying to see Cruise hit Mach 10 one more time — here’s some good news: starting next week, you can enjoy the need for speed from the comfort of your own home . After a couple of victory laps around the box office, “Top Gun: Maverick” finally arrives on digital, DVD and Blu-ray.
Find Top Gun: Maverick on digital and DVD
“Top Gun: Maverick” flies into digitization starting August 23, 2022. The physical release will follow, but not until November 1, 2022, when the film will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD.
The upcoming release will take fans deeper into the making of the film, with over 110 minutes of bonus content. Thanks to the press cycle, we’ve heard a lot of chatter about the intensive training the actors went through before filming their aerial sequences – but now the bonus content will let us see the preparations for ourselves. Other extras include behind-the-scenes interviews with the filmmakers and a master class from Tom Cruise. You will find the details below.
- Cleared For Take Off – Watch the most intense filming training program as the cast prepares for filming while pulling multiple G’s in a fighter jet.
- Breaking New Ground: Filming Top Gun: Maverick – Prepare to fly as you go behind the scenes with the cast and crew of Top Gun: Maverick on a journey to capture the most spectacular aerial sequences ever!
- A Love Letter to Aviation – Tom Cruise shares his passion for aviation as he pilots his own plane, a vintage World War II P-51 Mustang that would have been the Top Gun plane of its time.
- Forging The Darkstar – Pushing the limits beyond Mach-10, the future of aviation is unveiled through an impressive experimental aircraft specially designed for the film.
- Masterclass with Tom Cruise (Cannes Film Festival) – Tom Cruise discusses his incredible career at the flagship event of the 75th Cannes Film Festival.
- “Hold My Hand” – Lady Gaga music video
- “I Ain’t Worried” – OneRepublic music video
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One Teaser Trailer – Watch the official teaser trailer for the Mission: Impossible sequel starring Tom Cruise.