Heathrow: Half-time excursions threatened with cap on numbers

The situation has been called “a mess” but Heathrow said it will ensure fewer flights are canceled at the last minute (Image: SWNS)

Thousands of passengers have been left in limbo as Heathrow Airport extends its passenger limit for another six weeks.

No more than 100,000 people will be able to travel per day until October 29 amid chaos at UK airports due to demand and low staff numbers.

Heathrow has canceled hundreds of flights in recent months – but fewer journeys have been canceled at the last minute since the charge was introduced in July.

An airport spokesperson added that more passengers have seen their flights leave on time and experienced shorter wait times for their luggage.

But the move will disrupt the holiday plans of many families hoping to get away during the half term.

Ryanair has pledged to add more than 500 flights at London Stansted to counter “hopeless Heathrow”.

Meanwhile, consumer rights group Which? has called the situation “a mess”, and urged Heathrow to say now which flights will definitely go ahead.

“While the extension of the passenger cap could help Heathrow prevent a repeat of the unacceptable last-minute cancellations we saw earlier this summer, thousands of people will now be anxious about whether their travel plans could be scrapped,” said Guy Hobbs, travel editor at the organisation. , so.

FILE PHOTO: A Ryanair Boeing 737-800 aircraft takes off from the airport in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, July 29, 2018. REUTERS/Paul Hanna/File Photo

Ryanair chief Michael O’Leary called the airport ‘hopeless Heathrow’ (Image: Reuters)

“Heathrow and affected airlines must act without delay to provide travelers with clarity on which flights are being cut, and airlines must ensure that affected passengers are aware of their rights to rebooking or refunds.

“The aviation industry and government must ensure that this mess is sorted out as soon as possible – passenger caps cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.”

Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary added: “While hopeless Heathrow continues to mismanage flights, Ryanair and London Stansted will continue to grow and deliver for London families, as we have throughout summer 2022.”

The company boss insisted that Ryanair and Stansted have “more than enough staff” to handle the extra flights that have been announced.

Capacity limits will be kept under review, said a statement from Heathrow.

Officials offered some hope by saying they “could be lifted earlier if there was a sustained picture of better resilience and a substantial increase in resource levels”.

Heathrow’s chief commercial officer Ross Baker has said that “the primary concern is to ensure that we provide our passengers with a reliable service when they travel”.

“That’s why we introduced temporary capacity restrictions in July, which have already improved travel during the summer holidays”, he said.

“We want to remove the cap as soon as possible, but we can only do so when we are confident that everyone operating at the airport has the resources to deliver the service our passengers deserve.”

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.