Deontay Wilder cryptically claims former heavyweight rival Tyson Fury has been forced to quit boxing

Deontay Wilder cryptically suggests former heavyweight rival Tyson Fury has been forced to quit boxing because ‘he’s got a lot going on’… as Bronze Bomber predicts ‘lots of changes in the division’

  • Deontay Wilder cryptically claims ex-rival Tyson Fury has been forced to retire
  • The Bronze Bomber predicts “a lot of changes” in the heavyweight division
  • Wilder would not elaborate on why he believes Fury’s fighting days are truly over
  • The 36-year-old is backing Oleksandr Usyk to win a rematch with Anthony Joshua

Deontay Wilder has cryptically hinted at his belief that former rival Tyson Fury has been forced to retire from the ring.

Wilder and Fury played out a trilogy, starting with a draw in their first fight in December 2018. Alabama-born fighter Wilder was knocked out by Fury in February 2020, losing his WBC heavyweight title in the process, and was unable to win the pair’s rematch in October last year.

Unbeaten in his quest to win every belt in the division, Fury has suggested he would step away from boxing to focus on his wife Paris and their six children.

Deontay Wilder said he believes former rival Tyson Fury has been forced to retire from boxing

Unbeaten in his career, Fury now claims he wants to spend more time with his family

Unbeaten in his career, Fury now claims he wants to spend more time with his family

But despite Fury, 34, relinquishing his Ring title last week, not everyone believes his time in the sport is truly over.

The 36-year-old Wilder disagrees, believing that Fury will not continue his great career – possibly in a decision he has no control over.

Speaking to FightHype, The Bronze Bomber said: ‘I think he does [Fury] has to retire, he has to. He has a lot going on, I won’t even go into it. but it looks like he has to.

“When that happens, everything is up for grabs. I can’t give too much information, I don’t really want to discuss it, but there are going to be a lot of changes in the division. There are many opportunities and different things lined up, so stay tuned!’

It is not clear what “changes” Wilder is referring to, whether they refer to Fury’s personal situation, which saw him banned from the United States in June this year, or whether new rules are being introduced in the sporting world that would work against the Manchester-born the boxer.

Wilder has doubled down on his prediction that Oleksandr Usyk will beat Anthony Joshua

Wilder has doubled down on his prediction that Oleksandr Usyk will beat Anthony Joshua

A decision will soon be made on Fury’s WBC belt, which will not be up for grabs in Saturday’s heavyweight rematch between Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk and Briton Anthony Joshua.

Wilder also confirmed he wasn’t going to change his mind on his prediction for this weekend’s winner, tipping the 35-year-old to make it back-to-back wins over AJ.

“I’m going with Usyk in this fight. I have said it and I stand by my word, said Wilder.

Wilder’s next fight will be against Finland’s Robert Helenius in New York in October, in his first competitive return since losing to Fury last year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.