Boy’s cough that lasted 5 years turned out to be a toy he swallowed when he was 3

Boy’s cough that lasted 5 years turned out to be a toy he swallowed when he was 3

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy stuck in her throat for five years

Marley’s mother thought he had asthma after he started struggling to breathe (Image: Sunrise)

A boy has undergone surgery to remove a plastic toy which may have been stuck in his throat for five years.

Marley Enjakovic, eight, from Adelaide, swallowed the small plastic flower several years ago, resulting in constant coughing and breathing problems.

After a series of misdiagnoses and worsening symptoms, doctors finally discovered that the toy was stuck in his airways.

Marley’s cough became so severe one day in December that he was rushed to hospital struggling for breath.

After being admitted to an intensive care unit, surgeons discovered and removed the arts and crafts flower lodged in his throat.

The boy – who doesn’t talk much – spoke to breakfast show Sunrise from his bed at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital.

Asked how it felt to have the piece of plastic stuck in his throat, he replied: ‘Nothing.’

Marley’s mother Skye said her son started having coughing fits while eating, but as time went on he coughed for “hours and hours” and it became “scary”.

To view this video, you must enable JavaScript and consider upgrading to a browser that supports HTML5 video

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy stuck in her throat for five years

Since before surgery after his long-term symptoms became “scary”

The toy has finally been removed

Marley’s mother spoke of her relief after the culprit was finally cleared

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy stuck in her throat for five years

Sitting healthy and happy after the operation

Marley would also struggle to play basketball and soccer. His mother was told it was asthma, but she knew it was more because the cough was triggered by food and drink.

She added: “I was completely shocked. but also very relieved, to be honest, because out of all these years I finally got an answer.

“My biggest concern at the time was that he was actually born with that condition.

“Because if he was born with it, he would have other problems. Knowing that it was caused by a foreign body was a small relief to me.

“My message to other parents is that if you feel something is wrong, just keep pushing for it.

“I’m so glad I did because it means I have him today.”

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.