Athlete Ricardo Dos Santos stopped by the police for the second time | UK News

An athlete who was allegedly racially profiled during a stop and frisk has said he was stopped for a second time by seven armed police officers while driving home in London.

Portuguese sprinter Ricardo Dos Santos published a series of tweets and video footage of him being pulled over and questioned by police.

Dos Santos said officers thought he was on his phone when they pulled him over, claiming one took his baton out of his pocket “out of frustration ready to break the glass” after he didn’t know how to open the car door.

He said “nothing had changed” in the two years since he was stopped along with his partner, British sprinter Bianca Williams, and their daughter.

Mr Dos Santos said in a series of tweets: “Not surprised I had to go through this again… Annoyed that 2 years later nothing has changed.”

He later said he had only shared parts of the footage on social media, as the rest was with his lawyer.

In July 2020, recording of Mr. Dos Santos and Ms. Williams searched and handcuffed was widely shared on social media, and Williams later accused the police of racially profiling them.

Following the search, details of the couple’s three-month-old baby were also stored in a police database called Merlin, which is used to record information about children who become known to authorities.

In April, the Independent Office for Police Conduct, the police watchdog, said a serving constable and four constables would all face a disciplinary hearing for gross misconduct over the incident.

Dos Santos will compete in 2021. Image: Associated Press

Responding to the incident on Saturday, the Met confirmed the stop took place as they were “concerned that the driver may be using a mobile phone at the wheel”.

The force said: “We are aware of footage on social media showing parts of a car stop.

Bianca Williams, who competed at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, photo: Associated Press
Bianca Williams, who competed at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Image: Associated Press

Car ‘couldn’t stop’ – police

“At approximately 04:00 on Sunday 14 August, armed officers were on routine patrol in a marked police car.

“They saw a car… and were concerned that the driver may be using a mobile phone at the wheel.

“The officers clearly indicated that the car should stop, but it failed to do so and they called for additional assistance. The driver stopped approximately five minutes later… and the officers spoke to him about why they wanted to stop the vehicle .

“Following the conversation, the vehicle was allowed on its way. We have since contacted the driver via Twitter to invite him to contact us if he wishes to discuss this matter further.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.