Aleksandar Mitrovic ruled out of Fulham’s goalless draw against Wolves | Premier League

Wolves goalkeeper José Sá ensured the points by saving Aleksandar Mitrovic’s late penalty in a goalless draw against Fulham.

Mitrovic, who scored twice last week in Fulham’s opening-day draw with Liverpool, had the chance to take all three points for his side in the 81st minute when referee John Brooks pointed to the spot following Rayan Aït-Nouri’s sick-time challenge on Bobby Cordova-Reid.

Mitrovic looked set to score his 45th league goal in as many appearances following his record-breaking feat in the Championship last season, but Sá dived to his right to keep out the striker’s spot-kick.

There had been no complaints about Brooks’ penalty decision, but on the balance of play on a baking afternoon, justice was served when Sá guessed correctly to ensure the points were shared.

Wolves started at a furious pace in searing temperatures as Pedro Neto and Hwang Hee-chan both forced Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak into early action. Neto was brilliantly picked out by Daniel Podence but his angled drive was blocked and the Wolves forward and then headed the rebound back over the bar. Hwang then sprinted into a one-on-one with Rodak following Neto’s excellent pass, but his effort was also blocked.

Mitrovic’s wild volley over the top in his side’s first attack was met with huge cheers from the home faithful, but Fulham threatened again soon after when Cordova-Reid’s downward header from Andreas Pereira’s corner was cleared by Rúben Neves close to the goal line.

Rodak’s fork gave Neto another opening, but he missed the chance to take aim at an open goal and Podence deflected the loose ball wide.

The home team should have broken the deadlock in the 53rd minute. Aït-Nouri’s perfect low cross gave Morgan Gibbs-White a tap-in, but the England Under-21 striker was unable to convert.

Wolves manager Bruno Lage sent on new signing Gonçalo Guedes for his first appearance in the 57th minute, with Hwang making way. The Portugal striker’s darting runs helped stretch Fulham’s defence, but the visitors held firm at the back and continued to cause their own problems going forward.

Neeskens Kebano forced Sá into a rare save at his near post, and the home fans became restless. Lage sent on Adama Traoré and Nélson Semedo for Neto and Jonny respectively with 12 minutes remaining, but the dice rolled in Fulham’s favor in the 80th minute.

Cordova-Reid fell under Aït-Nouri’s misjudged tackle and Brooks didn’t hesitate to point to the spot, only for Sá to deny Mitrovic.

José Sá saves Aleksandar Mitrovic’s penalty. Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images

Mitrovic and Gibbs-White clashed in stoppage time as tempers flared following the former’s late challenge, with both players leaning in with their foreheads to earn bookings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.